Posted to alt.home.repair
ransley[_2_] ransley[_2_] is offline

Default Pressure wash or scrub stucco?

On Mar 10, 10:56*am, yo wrote:
The paint on my stucco on concrete block house is chalky and peeling
and even cracking in a couple of places. *Everyone here, in south
Florida, seems to pressure wash stucco before painting, but I am
wondering whether scraping then scrubbing with bleach and detergent
would be just as effective.

Here's a link, hopefully, that shows the cracking paint:http://i51.tinypic.com/16hte2f.jpg

The stucco has what is referred to as a smooth finish, though I've
also heard it called a sand finish. *But it's basically pretty smooth,
especially with several layers of old paint on it.

If a pressure wash is the way to go, what power of washer would be
necessary to clean it up?

If scrubbing would work, what kind of mixture would be best?

Thanks.

Chalking is not normal for Latex, I would take samples to a pro paint
store to see what you have, Oil chalks and the Chalk must be removed,
Stucco chalks. Dont just think latex paint and a quick wash is best,
you could make a bigger mess.