Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Anderson Jon Anderson is offline

Default Upside-down drill press

Thought I'd try and find the picture. It's not in the book I was
thinking of, but did find a picture of two guys working with drill
presses inverted on the columns, caption saying this was done for
reaming and (de)burring, with operators simply pushing parts down onto
the tool.

Another picture shows one with the quill mounted horizontal to the
column via a custom adapter. The base is fitting with retractable
castors. It appears the head is raised and lowered by rack and pinion
operated by handwheel. Two pulleys over the top of the column support a
cable for a counterweight that looks to run inside a vertical
rectangular box. I'd guess the bottom of said box has additional weight
to stabilize when being moved. All this, to bring a drill to the work
for side holes.

These are in the Lindsay reprint of Standard and Emergency Shop Methods.

Jon