Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt Colbyt is offline

Default What's the point with the little paint rollers

"Jeff Thies" wrote in message
On 3/9/2011 6:23 PM, Colbyt wrote:
"Jeff wrote in message
On 3/8/2011 4:21 PM, deadgoose wrote:
Great for trim work. You still need to cut some stuff in with a brush.
I also use them for putting on wallpaper paste in the joint/overlap
area. Also very handy for doing areas that are "tight" like over doors
and windows where the regular roller won't conveniently fit.

Bought some haven't used them yet (long handle). How do they hold
paint?
I need to paint the soffits (sp?) and eaves. My painter friend said she
only used them for painting behind toilets.

Jeff

They are the only roller I use anymore. I buy them in bulk from a local
paint store and throw them away when done. The ones I buy are the longer
nap
for semi-rough surfaces.

Holds more paint?

I use them everywhere.

I painted all the trim and the gable ends of a house last summer using
them.
Roll it on fast and easy smooth with a brush. I did this for the oil
based
primer and the latex top coat.

So, roll it on and brush it out? Do you dunk the roller in the can or
roll it on?

We did the same method on some 50 year aluminum siding about 4 years ago.
Painted is never as smooth as the baked on fish but it turned out darn
good.

Do keep it mind, I don't buy or use cheap paint. Ben Moore is about all
use.

Same here! We get a real good price at the distributor. They just ask:
economy, contractor or best? Easy answer! They sell a lot of paint and
have always got several guys mixing it up. I like shopping at a place
where I know I can never go wrong and wind up with crap.

Jeff

Outside I may use a roller pan but generally use a 2.5 gallon bucket with a
mesh ramp. The larger project gets the bucket. Inside I always use a roller
pan.

Proper loading of the roller is important. For maximum coverage you want it
fully loaded but not dripping. This helps prevent roller stripes or welts.
Properly loaded one of the little guys will hold and transfer about the same
amount of paint as a cheaper 9" roller.

The brush out treatment is only used on the exterior painting, doors and
trim. The brush smoothes the surface and eliminates any tendcy to an orange
peel finish

Colbyt