Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default the REAL problem with my Dustbuster...

You're an idiot to suggest epoxy. The contacts will oxidize and then
there will be no connection, might take a couple of months before
this happens, but it will happen.

Ok, I'll bite. Stainless or nickel oxidize? What electrolyte is in
epoxy that will attack stainless steel or nickel? Meanwhile, I can
buy epoxy paint, epoxy coated rebar, conductive (aluminum doped)
epoxy, epoxy covering junction coating for cheap PCB packaging, etc.
I can also buy quite a few fiberglass marine hulls and decks, which are
held together by epoxy and have stainless deck fittings. No corrosion
warnings on any of the epoxy cans, bottles, and tubes that I can find.
It's certainly not hydroscopic so there's no electrolytic action. The
stainless and nickel are fairly close on the galvanic series:
http://www.corrosionist.com/galvanic...sion_chart.htm

Sigh. Where is Dr. Barry L. Ornitz when we need him?

Is this your reference? I'm not sure I see the connection (other than the
general one of chemical reactions between dissimilar substances).

http://www.natscience.com/Uwe/Forum....icizer-problem

Basic rule -- all discussions eventually get out of hand.

Another rule... If simply pressing two surfaces together made for a good
electrical connection, we'd need much less solder.

You've no doubt read stories about how unsoldered connections lasted a week,
a month, a year -- but eventually failed. Solder creates an alloy bond that
doesn't slowly deteriorate from exposure to oxygen and contaminants.

Before someone mentions wire wrap... In wire wrapping, the wire actually
cuts into the post, forming a gas-tight connection.