Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Denis G.[_2_] Denis G.[_2_] is offline

Default Cutting fittings off copper pipe for scrap?

On Mar 9, 10:47*am, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
The Habitat I work with has a bunch of copper pipe that we pulled out of
the convent that we are converting to homes. *The scrap price of plain
copper (no fittings, "clean") is much better that that with fittings &
we are looking for a good way to remove the fittings. *"Good" means
fast, easy, cheap (I know, "pick 2").

I threw away a 5/8" bolt cutter, or that would have been the first thing
* that I tried (it's mostly 1/2" pipe). *But I might be able to borrow
one if that would be a good solution. *Anybody used a bolt cutter on
copper pipe?

I have a Porta-Band saw, with a stand. *Whadya' think of that? *Might be
kinda' slow.

How about an ax & chopping block? *Would it work & how fast would the ax
go too dull to work anymore?

I suppose a throat less shears would be great, but even Harbor Freight's
$140 is too much.

I'm assuming that an abrasive saw would clog up on copper. *Yes?

What about a circular saw? *Would it REALLY need a special blade if I
didn't care about the quality of the cut?

I know that in the collective experience here there is the answer,
Bob

I'd bet that large cable cutters would work (like the 32" Klein one):
http://www.cable-lashers.com/id80.html
Finding an inexpensive version might be a problem.