Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Sheet steel hardness

I have some drawn parts to make and have one drawing die done, the part looks like a
top hat. I do have similar parts made by other manufacturers. I'm not sure what
steel to use, cold-rolled, drawing or deep-drawing? I have successfully made some
parts with the die but there will be more operations done on the part where we
essentially turn part of it inside out. My question is one that my steel suppliers
can't answer, the salesmen are nothing more than order-takers.

Would the different steels have different hardness that is standard? I haven't tested
any of them yet, I just thought of it. But, if this is so, I could tell what steel
the other manufacturer is using. Until recently, I'd never heard of Aluminum-Killed
Steel (AK) or AKDQ (Aluminum Killed Draw Quality) I will track it all down and figure
out the correct steel for the part but if anybody has any experience with drawn parts
or the different grades of steel, I'd appreciate any advice, the price difference is
very significant.

(Drawn parts are Black Magic!)