Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
spaco spaco is offline

Default More generator Q's

I will address only 3 of your questions:

Existential Angst wrote:

How are back-up generators generally wound, as well as prime generators,
such as coal, hydro, etc?

I have a couple of 6.5 KW Onan 120/240 volt 60hz generators. They both
have wound rotors and stators. One takes the power off the rotor via
slip rings and the other (newer) takes the power off the stator. In
this case the field,(the rotor) has dc supplied to it via slip rings.
Even though there is usually enough residual magnetism to get generation
going, both sets "flash" the field with some of the starting battery
juice to make sure the field current builds up quickly.

Will a typical 3 ph motor throw out juice, if driven by a pony motor?

Yes. I bought the Nigel Smith book mentioned in another post on this
thread. I focused on the setup called "C-2C", using a 3 phase motor to
produce single phase ac power. It does work. I am using a 5 hp 3 phase
electric motor which is being driven by a 12 hp Briggs gasoline engine
that is running at about 2200 rpm and belted to produce 60 hz at that
engine speed.

Any primers on this stuff?

Yes, The Nigel Smith book is the one to get. Also, type "induction
generator" into youtube and you won't see the light of day for about a week.

Pete Stanaitis