Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Winston Winston is offline

Default More generator Q's

Existential Angst wrote:
wrote in message

(...)

Three phase induction? This looks promising:
http://ronja.twibright.com/exciter/

Though the most I could ever accomplish was 70 W for half an hour
a day, so I don't expect to run my house from one of these.

That's actually not bad.
How did you determine that it was 70 W?

At the time, I had an exercise bicycle that used a magnetic
'reluctance brake'. There was a knob next to the handlebar
yoke that I could twist to provide any amount of pedal
resistance. A meter next to it indicated the number of watts
I was converting. It probably wasn't terribly accurate but
it was good enough for a 'ballpark' figure and interesting
for a guy that is ~97% fat

Between 'warmup' and 'cool down', I could keep the needle
above 70 W for a half hour, consistently without endangering
my health.

I was very impressed when I learned that world - class
bicyclists can generate over 480 (Four Hundred Eighty)
watts continuously during a one hour time trial!

Dayum.

--Winston -- Now walking around, turning off room lights.