Posted to rec.woodworking
Digger[_3_] Digger[_3_] is offline

Default Powdered Pumice, rottenstone & Plumber's Rouge?

On 12/31/1969 7:00 PM, wrote:
On Mar 8, 10:21 am, Digger wrote:

So, what happened to plumber's rouge and powdered pumice/ rottenstone?
Can't seem to find any of these products anymore. In fact, local Ace
hardware and True Value stores claim that these products are no longer
even available for special order.

What are folks using for polishing compounds these days ...not looking
for hard to find select brands, just something I can purchase locally in
small quantities. Ideally, Would greatly appreciate recommendations for
equivalent substitutes of all three above.

Thanks all,

--
Digger
Bob O'Dell

Might try a drugstore for pumice. Some folks use it for dental care.
I, too, still have a box of pumice powder in the shop but I haven't
used it in years. Last use I can remember was buffing the finish on
an old rocking chair I refinished and it did a good job. No machines
-- just a hand pad of wadded rags and a few drops of water after the
varnish has set a few days.

I can find pumice stone, but not the 4F (FFFF - ultra fine) powdered
pumice I am looking for. Didn't think of a drugstore as possible source
so will look around this evening.

I have used rouge on some metal and gem stone polishing projects and
used the Dremel with polishing pad. I believe you can get jeweler's
rouge, in small amounts, from Dremel. Otherwise try a hardware or
jewelry store. I would start with Ace, because they are the PLACE.
At least in rural SE Kansas, they are pretty well stocked.

Jeweler's rouge does indeed come in very small quantities and not
exactly cheap either; Tripoli, for example, can run as high as $30.00 a
stick + shipping.

After talking with the local auto-body repair shop this morning, I
believe an automotive style compound may offer considerable advantage in
a wet look finish. At least worth investigation.

Local ACE store here is privately owned and not very well stocked. Also
not doing as well as the True Value on opposite corner. Neither store
offers very much support to woodworking community. However, if you want
an accessory for a $6,000 riding mower or $400.00 leaf blower, well now,
that is a horse they are both familiar with.g

Thanks Ron, for the ideas and additional input...

RonB

--
Digger
Bob O'Dell