Posted to rec.woodworking
Digger[_3_] Digger[_3_] is offline

Default Powdered Pumice, rottenstone & Plumber's Rouge?

On 3/9/2011 11:42 AM, dadiOH wrote:
Digger wrote:

Hmmmm...let's see now, wonder what would happen if I tried to fill
pores with some of this stuff?g

FFFF pumice and a binder.

Yep. Just wondering out loud, mostly in jest. One reply (Father Haskell)
however did suggest Diatomaceous earth (food grade) as a possible sub
for 4F. Local hardware store carries it and perhaps I should experiment.
DE is calcium based and pumice is silica, so not quite sure what effects
will result from stains, Poly, lacquer, shellac, Varnish, or grit on
grit finish sanding/ scraping. Will it color differently as seashells do
when oiled? Will it react badly with clear finishes? Will it even work
as fill? ...?

Never read anything on this sort of an application for DE, so unless
someone can save me the trouble I'll just have to give it a shot myself.
Anyhow, sounded like a good idea and worthy of serious consideration.

Thanks,

--
Digger
Bob O'Dell