Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default Cutting fittings off copper pipe for scrap?

A cable cutter intended for cutting large gage copper and/or aluminum cables
would shear the tubing.

Such a cutter could be set up as a shear clamped/strapped on a base, with an
improvised handle to facilitate using the cutter as a shear.. just make sure
no one sticks a piece of steel in the cutter.

A large tinsnip/sheetmetal cutter could also be set up as a shear, in the
same way.. one handle attached to a base, and a handle to make it easier for
the user.
Dressing up the cutting edges on a big old set of tinsnips, and a few drops
of oil could repurpose an old tool that's just been laying around unused.

The axe/hatchet method would probably work well in the right hands, but not
by a new trainee.
I'd think a chunk of aluminum (old engine head/casting for example)
supported by a somewhat massive solid base (tree stump/anvil base-type
support) would would make one-swing cutting possible.

There are carbide-tipped metal cutting blades made especially for cutting
metals.. Panasonic brand blades are claimed to cut rebar and electrical
conduit fairly effortlessly.. but copper is a bit gummy compared to steel,
and may result in kickback or blade problems such as the copper sticking to
the blade without a wax cutting lubricant.

--
WB

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
The Habitat I work with has a bunch of copper pipe that we pulled out of
the convent that we are converting to homes. The scrap price of plain
copper (no fittings, "clean") is much better that that with fittings & we
are looking for a good way to remove the fittings. "Good" means fast,
easy, cheap (I know, "pick 2").

I threw away a 5/8" bolt cutter, or that would have been the first thing
that I tried (it's mostly 1/2" pipe). But I might be able to borrow one
if that would be a good solution. Anybody used a bolt cutter on copper
pipe?

I have a Porta-Band saw, with a stand. Whadya' think of that? Might be
kinda' slow.

How about an ax & chopping block? Would it work & how fast would the ax
go too dull to work anymore?

I suppose a throat less shears would be great, but even Harbor Freight's
$140 is too much.

I'm assuming that an abrasive saw would clog up on copper. Yes?

What about a circular saw? Would it REALLY need a special blade if I
didn't care about the quality of the cut?

I know that in the collective experience here there is the answer,
Bob