Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default Continued...

HeyBub wrote:
Jeff Thies wrote:

That works, but in general one should avoid painting from the can:
Oxygen is the enemy of paint!

Assuming latex paint, when ready to return the can of paint to
storage, follow these procedures to mitigate oxygen destruction:
1. Lay a piece of plastic over the upturned lid (cling-wrap, bit of
plastic bag, etc.).
2. Spray the plastic with PAM (original, not the garlic-flavored
model) 3. Exhale into the can three times (to displace the oxygen
with CO2)*
4. Hammer on lid with the plastic.
5. Invert can and store upside-down.

No one I know is willing to risk step 5. I wonder if spraying a bit
of PAM in the can would do the same trick.

The PAM will migrate to the top of the paint and form a thin oil
barrier against any remaining oxygen in the can.

Nice set of hints you previously posted. I was impressed with not
only them, but how many you remembered. Got a hard copy somewhere.

The presenter had a 4x7" card on each seat labeled "Tips". I wrote
down the ones that impressed me. Of course that turned out to be
unnecessary as he sold autographed copies of his book at the end of
the show and I bought one ($20). It's the same book one could buy at
Home Depot (for the same price). Lotsa good t80

Lotsa good tips. Here's some mo
* Use a ladder that FACES your work; never one that you have to paint to
your side.
* Sheets and the like are poor drop cloths - the paint soaks through. Best
is canvas with plastic backing. The canvas absorbs the paint and the plastic
backing prevents soak through. Giant plastic sheeting is also good.
* Brush & roller spinner. I finally got one via Ebay. I did go to my local
Sherwin-Williams store looking for a brush spinner and a Pantone color strip
or wheel. "Don't have those" said the clerk. "Where do you suggest I try," I
asked, "maybe a auto parts store or an unsanitary Taco stand?" He shrugged.
* I've tried the method of cleaning brushes from latex paint using a
generous dollop of fabric softener in a pail of water. Works swell! The
brush smells nice, too. I've also tried his three-step method of cleaning
brushes used for oil based paints (10 second swirls in 1. Mineral spirits,
2. 50-50 mineral spirits & alcohol, 3. 100% alcohol). This technique also is
impressive.
* Usually wall painting involves two people: one to do the cut-in at the
ceiling, another right behind to roll the wall. This painting over the
cut-in while still wet prevents a sometimes visible line where the cut-in
meets the wall paint.
* When rolling paint, an adjustable pole is quite nice. It can be retracted
when doing, for example, the inside of a closet or a hallway.
* You can make a swell paint container out of an abandoned milk jug. Cut a
largish hole in the opposite side of the handle for your brush to reach in.
The spout acts like a funnel to return unused paint to the original can. You
can even hang your brush through the spout with a nail in the brushes'
handle hole.