Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Josepi[_17_] Josepi[_17_] is offline

Default More generator Q's

Your friend was wrong. Motors need a magnetic field, whether permanent
magnet or electromagnet to produce voltage.

Three phase motors are typically induction types and produce the second
field of magnetism by induction from the wound fields.
Dynamic braking can use the collapsing field while they are turning for a
only short time to generate power but then the field is gone.

--------------------

"Existential Angst" wrote in message

Awl --

So I'm amassing a collection of perm. mag. DC motors for my various
(de)generative follies, but a friend said he took apart a gas powered
generator, and observed no magnets, with both stator and rotor being
wound -- suggesting that AC induction motors should provide juice, but mine
don't.

Was my friend wrong, or can wound rotors/stators yield juice, and if so,
under what conditions?

How are back-up generators generally wound, as well as prime generators,
such as coal, hydro, etc?

Will a typical 3 ph motor throw out juice, if driven by a pony motor?

Any primers on this stuff?
--
EA