Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus25935 Ignoramus25935 is offline

Default How would you bend polycarbinate (lexan)

On 2011-03-09, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
"Bob La Londe" fired this volley in
:

Now I wanna try that. I need to get me a couple beers and a bottle of
blue loctite.

Later, I put some on the surface of a piece, and it did not damage it.

I am gonna try it too.

However, when some was trapped between a nut and the surface of a sheet
(torqued lightly, and I'm certain there were no defects in the piece) and
allowed to cure, just about the time it hardened, the piece fell apart.

It might be mechanical -- the compound searching out microscopic defects,
then (perhaps) expanding to break it apart. But I've seen this same kind
of deterioration before, when I cleaned a lexan item with GC "Cloro-
Cleen", and it disintegrated about five minutes later. Again, there was
no solvent action, it just fell apart into granules.

LLoyd