Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Doug White Doug White is offline

Default How would you bend polycarbinate (lexan)

"Lloyd E. Sponenburgh" lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote in
. 3.70:

Ignoramus25935 fired this volley
in :

I need to bend some 4 foot long (almost), 1/4" thick Lexan sheets. It
does not have to be super pretty, just good enough. How can I do
that?

Sheet metal brake with radius nosing.

Lexan bends and holds its shape wonderfully.

(WARNING!!! A BAD THING just happened. I just discovered that blue
Loctite destroys Lexan almost as quickly as chlorinated solvents do.
It doesn't dissolve -- no. It sits for 15 minutes without visible
changes, then collapses into tiny "kenerbles" about the size and shape
of tempered glass fragments.)

Doesn't have to be blue. The red stuff will destroy Lexan just fine. We
had an overly concientious technician ruin a big job right before it was
supposed to get shipped overseas. He decided adding Locktite would be a
good thing. The machine shop had to work a lot of overtime to make a new
assembly for us.

Doug White