Posted to rec.woodworking
DGDevin DGDevin is offline

Default Welcome To Big Time Politics

"HeyBub" wrote in message
m...

Upscale wrote:

We keep getting back to the same argument and I keep saying the same
thing without you acknowledging my view. A gun has one purpose only.
You can't realistically compare it to anything else. I know that many
Americans see a gun as just another simple possession. I do
understand that, but you have to see I don't. I accord it a different
perspective and I always will. And, that's where our opinions will
always clash. The only thing to do is agree to disagree. Can't offer
you anything else.

And just what is that one, single, purpose? Investment? Historical
artifact? Collecting? Psychological comfort?

The first firearm I ever owned was designed specifically for one
purpose--making little holes in paper targets with a high degree of
repeatability. Like a framing hammer, or a carving knife, or a baseball bat
it could have been used as a weapon, but that wasn't what it was designed or
made for. My dad owned a couple of firearms too, designed to kill ducks and
deer. Again, they could have been used as weapons against people, but that
wasn't what the companies that made them intended. And yet once again we
hear that all guns have only one purpose--killing people. Do you suppose
that the folks who beat that drum ever stop to think that the guy who owns a
deer rifle and a couple of shotguns is unlikely to be persuaded by a claim
he knows on its face is simply not true?