Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John John is offline

Default face groove

Snag wrote:
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
fired this volley in
news:f3541ff9-0847-4915-
:

.. and between the round and the endplate, there's no good way
to position any common toolholder and tool to do the groove for the

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Doesn't anyone custom-grind tools anymore? (besides me?)

Anyone who does could make such an "off-angle" grooving tool in a few
minutes.

LLoyd

Somebody else said basically the same thing , and posted a link to a
picture of what it would look like . Looked like it was ground from a 1/4"
cutter , and it'd work just fine in my lantern toolpost . Karl might not
have a way to mount one like that ... because , it seems , lantern toolposts
just ain't that common any more .

We make a lot of special hand ground tools for special jobs including a
tool for cutting a 3/4 tpi acme internal thread by thread milling it.
I must have a whole shelf of special ground tools. I use an Armstrong
tool holder that is cut down to fit an aloris holder.
Another way is to braze the tool to another shank that will fit in the
holder you have.
I sometimes will weld a tool to a longer shank .
The tool in the picture was a 5/16 hss blank. It was for a .189
groove which is a standard for an 'O' ring.
Grinding tool bits takes a little practice but it is well worth
learning. Once learned it will save you a bunch in aggravation and time
when doing special jobs.

John