Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Brian Lawson Brian Lawson is offline

Default Stupid questions about parallels

On Mon, 7 Mar 2011 12:31:40 -0700, "Bob La Londe"
wrote:

When you set something in your vise with parallels do you slide them out
before beginning work, or do you press down firmly enough on your work
pieces that they won't move easily as the machine accelerates and
decelerates?

I seem to get more accurate work piece positioning if I press down gently
while tightening the vise, but at that light downward force the parallels
can slide out after I have the work piece clamped in.

Seems if you leave them in they could shift on their own or worse slide out
and fall between the table and the column, but if you slide them out
eventually you will wear them out of tolerance from the friction of removing
them.

Not really an issue for a 2 minute job, but I rarely do a 2 minute job.
Heck, I rarely do 2 hour job.

Hey Bob,

As others have said, tapping with a soft face hammer as you tighten
the vise really helps. Another good aid is just put some paper
between the work and the parallels.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.