Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default How-To: Common Cause Of Flat Panel PS Failure

Bob Villa wrote:

On Mar 6, 10:57 pm, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:
Bob Villa wrote:

On Mar 6, 3:31 pm, wrote:
On Sun, 6 Mar 2011 10:52:54 -0800 (PST), wrote:
On Mar 6, 7:35 am, Bob Villa wrote:
This is common to almost all flat panel power supplies. There are 4
electrolytic capacitors (same physical size) on the switching PS.
There are 2) 1000uF X 10V and 2) 470uF X 15V that usually bulge and/or
fail. You shouldn't pay more than .25to .50c for each. (I used higher
voltage on the replacements of 1000x15 and 470x25)
Symptoms of failure a slow power-up or totally dead.

Look for highest ripple current rating. Nichicon HZ, HN, Panasonic FM

Correct. 'Bob Villa' apparently wants repeat business as his high ESR
caps will fail quickly. Note, 'Bob', good quality low ESR caps aren't
real expensive - you just aren't going to buy them at Radio Shack or
Caps R Us.

PlainBill

Got them from Newark (Illinois Cap. and Rubycon)

Which series? The brand tells you nothing about their
specifications.

--
You can't fix stupid. You can't even put a Band-Aid on it, because it's
Teflon coated.

I'll let you know when they fail...dip-****! (Original crap lasted 5
yrs)

Dip****? You don't even know how to snip a sig file, let alone
anything about real troubleshooting. I've been finding and replacing
bad electrolytics for over 45 years.