Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default reparing battery pack

The charger doesn't "know" the cell's capacity. It just
pumps current into it. The better class of chargers shuts
off when a particular cell voltage (and/or some other
condition) has been reached.

If it's just a brainless charge, that's correct.

I'm so accustomed to 0.1C charging that I rarely set the C9000 for greater
than 0.3C -- even though 0.5C charges are /recommened/ by MAHA for its own
cells. I'm afraid of overheating the cells.

The C9000 can do a lot of useful stuff -- break in new cells, rejuvenate old
cells (supposedly), and measure cell capacity. The latter is useful for
assembling packs with closely matched cells. You should also check capacity
when you buy cells, as they're sometimes out of spec. (MAHA says the
tolerance is +/- 10% of the rated value. MAHA will replace low-capacity
cells.)