Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Meat Plow[_5_] Meat Plow[_5_] is offline

Default reparing battery pack

On Sun, 06 Mar 2011 12:47:53 -0800, William Sommerwerck wrote:

Using NiMH cells should eliminate any problem, as they (generally)
tolerate rapid charging. I used regular NiMH cells for a Polaroid #365
electronic flash, and the #363 rapid charger handles them fine, even
though it was designed for rapid-charge nicads.

I'd be cautious of the charger meeting the requirements of 2300 mAh
cells without it struggling.

The charger doesn't "know" the cell's capacity. It just pumps current
into it. The better class of chargers shuts off when a particular cell
voltage (and/or some other condition) has been reached.

If it's just a brainless charge that's correct.

Been dealing with these issues for many years in battery packs for my
handy talkies. I have a spare 7.2v 1400 mAh pack for my Vertex FT-60.
It won't charge slow but drop it in the rapid charger and it charges
just fine. Doesn't make much sense. I own a Maha multi charger that
uses a temp probe placed on the cells to help decide the charge.

I have two MAHA C9000 chargers. I wish they'd been available 40 years
ago.

Forget the model of mine. It was a model probably circa 1996 because AES
had just started to advertise their products. It wasn't something to just
pop 4 AAA cells into. It could charge several different styles. I don't
use it these days since I've bought drop in rapid chargers. It's at my
office in the basement with the rest of my junk or I'd give the model.