Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
john B. john B. is offline

Default face groove

On Sun, 06 Mar 2011 19:45:40 -0600, Karl Townsend
wrote:

Got a tuff little job for tomorrow morning...

I'm making a new end of an air cylinder. Start with a 3.5 by 3.5 block
1.5" thick. Center and turn in the lathe so you now have a 2.5" round
protruding 0.25".

Now for the tuff part, turn a groove 0.062" wide on the face right at
the 2.5" round. (This holds rubber ring seal). I've turned a groove on
a face in the lathe before, but never with the protrusion in the way.

I started grinding a little tit on the end of a cutoff HSS tool. I can
see this effort will break right off. I'm thinking to try mangling a
two flute endmill in the morning.

Maybe somebody has a better idea.

Karl

If I understand correctly you are cutting an o-ring groove on the face
of the block adjacent to the 2.5" round portion you just turned? What
is difficult". Just grind a tool bit to do it. I'd probably start out
by grinding the end of a new HSS tool bit at about 45 degrees to get
clearance for the cylindrical portion. then grind a protruding cutting
point the size and shape of your o-ring groove. You now have a tool
bit positioned at 45 degrees to the centerline of the lathe with a
cutting portion parallel to the centerline and ground to cut the
correct size and shape groove. Then do it :-)