Posted to sci.electronics.repair,uk.d-i-y
Skipweasel[_4_] Skipweasel[_4_] is offline

Default Confusing output voltage from transformer

In article m,
kens says...
Like as not 10v will be fine (but as said, 7.5 is a safe starting
point.) It's rare for any device to require an exact voltage unless
it uses 5v TTL ICs and doesn't have any sort of on board
regulator.

Much 74LS series is OK up to around 7V. Most data sheets say 5.5V, but a
few actually admit to more - but experience suggests that above 7V
you're /really/ pushing your luck.

Where do you get 74LS chips in this situation? The O.P. posted a
question about a portable Sony audio amplifier: it's not going to
contain *any* logic chips, more than likely.

I didn't - it got mentioned along the way in the post I replied to.

Sheesh.

Bah - thread-drift. Some of the best stuff comes out of drifted thread.
May not be relevant to the OP, but then we're not a public service, we
don't have any duty to stay on topic if we don't want to.