Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Meat Plow[_5_] Meat Plow[_5_] is offline

Default reparing battery pack

On Sun, 06 Mar 2011 09:57:07 -0800, William Sommerwerck wrote:

When I rebuild my drill battery pack with new C nicads do I have to
stay in the same mAh rating. The originals are 1300mAh, I can replace
them with 2300mAh cells with tabs. Or even 4000mAh ones. Will more mAh
hurt the drill?

Better question, will it charge with the stock charger?

It should, unless the stock charger /required/ special cells for rapid
charge, or some other condition.

Using NiMH cells should eliminate any problem, as they (generally)
tolerate rapid charging. I used regular NiMH cells for a Polaroid #365
electronic flash, and the #363 rapid charger handles them fine, even
though it was designed for rapid-charge nicads.

I'd be cautious of the charger meeting the requirements of 2300 mAh cells
without it struggling.

Been dealing with these issues for many years in battery packs for my
handy talkies. I have a spare 7.2v 1400 mAh pack for my Vertex FT-60.
It won't charge slow but drop it in the rapid charger and it charges just
fine. Doesn't make much sense. I own a Maha multi charger that uses a
temp probe placed on the cells to help decide the charge.

I switched to all NMiH AAA cells for our keyboards/mice hand held GPS
etc.. Two chargers ant 4 packs of 2300 mAh cells. Smartest thing I've
done in awhile.