Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Jim Yanik Jim Yanik is offline

Default reparing battery pack

LSMFT wrote in
:

When I rebuild my drill battery pack with new C nicads do I have to stay
in the same mAh rating. The originals are 1300mAh, I can replace them
with 2300mAh cells with tabs. Or even 4000mAh ones. Will more mAh hurt
the drill?

No,they will not hurt your drill,as long as the pack voltage remains the
same. it will draw the current it needs,and no more.
Makita switched their packs from NiCd to NiMH for an increase in run
time,NiMH having more mAH,a higher energy density than NiCd.
the drills stayed the same,the charger is where the difference is,for the
different battery chemistry.
NiMH have to be charged differently than NiCds.

NiMH are better cells,IMO.
they keep a charge longer,besides their higher mAH.

I've never seen 4000mAH sub-C NiCd cells,who makes them?

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik