Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default OT Safety Deposit Box (at a bank)

On 3/5/2011 10:15 PM, zzzzzzzzzz wrote:
On Sat, 05 Mar 2011 09:17:21 -0600, Tom wrote:

Kurt wrote in
m:

In ,
wrote:

Also, if you have a complete drive failure and need to rebuild, you
wouldn't be able to access the net to restore your backup. With a
local image backup on an external drive I can restore quickly and
easily.

FWIW I clone the entire computer to a HD (so I can boot from the
other
HD if needed) and use off-line for specific stuff like my photos, my

===
snip

What software and hardware would you recommend for cloneing (cloning?)
the computer hard drive? I use Windows XP on a desktop. I do back up
files occasionally on a USB external hard drive, but have never made a
bootable clone.

I used Partition Magic because it would do a lot more, but others have had
good luck with Ghost.

Older versions of Ghost, yes, as long as the drives involved are small
enough for it to deal with. (I still have a copy in my toolkit, and use
it for cloning XP boxes.) The later Ghost, after they got eaten by
Norton/Symantec, not so much. Big and bloated and much more complex to
use. I don't think it was even the same program- they just bought the
name because of the good rep it had, and stuck it on their own inferior
programming.

--
aem sends...