Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Simplicity riding mower seat interlock?

On Mar 5, 9:41*pm, "Dimitrios Paskoudniakis"
wrote:
"hr(bob) " wrote in message

On Mar 5, 6:24 pm, "Joe J" wrote:

Just bought a different house and included with the offer to purchase was
the Simplicity riding mower. Closed this week and discovered that he left
the battery and a half a tank of gas in the mower. That would mean its
been
sitting in the freezing WI winter since about mid October. The battery is
shot and won't take a charge. Anyway, brought my old battery from home,
got
it running and just wanted to run the old gas out.
The seat interlock isn't working. So even with the parking brake on and no
blade turning, I can't get off the seat w/o the mower dying.
Anyone know how that interlock works and if I can fix it? It must be some
kind of mechanical relay but I can't find anything under the seat. It
flips
forward for battery access but I don't see anything else under there.
Any guesses appreciated.

I just want to run the old gas out and deal with it in spring, but I don't
want to park my ass on it for 3 hours in 30 degree weather, running the
mower out of gas.
WI spring is at least 6 weeks away
Thanks,
Joe

The mower is operating as designed!!! *It is supposed to shut off
automatically if you should fall off the seat, such as when you *go
under a low-hanging tree branch, of maybe tip over on a hillside. *If
it runs, I would add a little fresh gas, and then stabil as suggested
by others, and then maybe run it every two weeks for 5 minutes or so.
Have you checked the cleanliness of the air filter, and how about
changing the oil?

+++++++++++++++++++

You misunderstand. *As the OP points out, the parking brake is set and the
blade is off. *Under those circumstances, plus the gear in neutral, you are
supposed to be able to get off the seat without the engine cutting off. *The
interlock to cut off the engine is there if either the parking brake is not
set or the blades are running.

He is asking why the engine cuts off even with the parking brake set and the
blades not running. *It's supposed to not cut off at that point. *That's
exactly how mine works. *When working properly, it allows you under the
right safety settings to be able to get up without cutting off the engine..- Hide quoted text -

OK - Sorry. I would try to get a wiring diagram from the
manufacturer, assuming the OP has a multimeter and knows how to trace
wiring.