Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Simplicity riding mower seat interlock?

On Mar 5, 6:24*pm, "Joe J" wrote:
Just bought a different house and included with the offer to purchase was
the Simplicity riding mower. *Closed this week and discovered that he left
the battery and a half a tank of gas in the mower. *That would mean its been
sitting in the freezing WI winter since about mid October. *The battery is
shot and won't take a charge. *Anyway, brought my old battery from home, got
it running and just wanted to run the old gas out.
The seat interlock isn't working. *So even with the parking brake on and no
blade turning, I can't get off the seat w/o the mower dying.
Anyone know how that interlock works and if I can fix it? *It must be some
kind of mechanical relay but I can't find anything under the seat. *It flips
forward for battery access but I don't see anything else under there.
Any guesses appreciated.

I just want to run the old gas out and deal with it in spring, but I don't
want to park my ass on it for 3 hours in 30 degree weather, running the
mower out of gas.
WI spring is at least 6 weeks away
Thanks,
Joe

The mower is operating as designed!!! It is supposed to shut off
automatically if you should fall off the seat, such as when you go
under a low-hanging tree branch, of maybe tip over on a hillside. If
it runs, I would add a little fresh gas, and then stabil as suggested
by others, and then maybe run it every two weeks for 5 minutes or so.
Have you checked the cleanliness of the air filter, and how about
changing the oil?