Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson Jon Elson is offline

Default OT Now - Moving

Ignoramus20691 wrote:

On 2011-03-03, Jon Elson wrote:
On 03/03/2011 08:01 AM, Ignoramus22805 wrote:

These were some of the reasons that our family thought about.

Plus the shed

Yeah, yeah, in THIS group, you need say NO MORE!

Looks like the sellers BSed us on something very important, so after
all, it may not happen!

Well, take your time, make sure EVERYTHING is right before you jump!

On the other hand, when you find 'THE PLACE", know that you have to move
RIGHT NOW to grab it. My wife and I looked for over a year once we decided
to seriously think about moving. I had a small house, although it had "4
bedrooms", they were all full of stuff. Back in 1988 or so, computers were
a lot bigger than today, and I couldn't have your USUAL IBM PC, oh no, I had
to have a VAX! I also had several other major projects that took up a lot
of room. We had a daughter, and my wife was thinking about more. (Little
did I know how MANY more she was thinking of!)

Anyway, we did some looking on our own, some with an agent, and a friend
of my wife's mom who was an agent showed us something on the order of 130
places. He was too literal, we gave him an area and a price limit, and he
stayed strictly in those limits, and we saw a BUNCH of horrible places,
some that we were literally afraid would fall down while we were in them!
We saw one place that had real promise, and went back to look again. We
opened the front door and our agent recoiled in horror. The place was
vacant, they had supposedly drained the water system, but didn't leave a
faucet open in the basement, water had leaked through the shutoff valve,
froze upstairs and then a thaw came, and the ceilings were on the living
room floor, and the hardwood flooring had warped and looked like the ribs
of a whale skeleton.

Well, finally, the other agent we had looked at a couple houses with called
up and said there's this house, it is farther than you wanted to be from
work, it is more money that you wanted to pay, but it is a real bargain and
won't last long. We signed a contract about 2 hours after seeing it! It
had 4 bedrooms upstairs, two in the basement, a HUGE area for my shop,
walk-out
basement, and otherwise was very attractive to my wife, too. So, after
getting a really good education on what was out there, we knew a good deal
when we saw it.

Jon