Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
john B. john B. is offline

Default Where does China get their leather for shoes?

On Sat, 05 Mar 2011 14:47:26 -0500, Wes
wrote:

TwoGuns wrote:

Another question about shoes. India has around a billion people also
and I assume a lot of them wear shoes. However isn't it national
policy in India that cows are sacred? Of course leather can be made
out of Pigskin or other skins but aren't those animals sacred also?

Not all Indians are hindu. There are muslims, christians, and sikhs. I'm trying to
remember the book I read this in but where a hindu can't butcher a cow, a muslim can do it
for him or something like that.

Wes

A practicing Hindu will not touch anything that is made from a cow or
cause harm to a cow, so there is no question of a Hindu requiring a
Moslem to slaughter a cow.

By the way, if the person in question is a Hindu, or follows one of
the off-shoots of Hinduism, then it is highly likely that he is also a
vegetarian and doesn't eat meat anyway.