Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
john B. john B. is offline

Default Where does China get their leather for shoes?

On Sat, 05 Mar 2011 06:39:03 -0600, jim "sjedgingN0Sp"@m@mwt,net
wrote:

TwoGuns wrote:

I was at a shoe store recently and a quick check of a few shoe boxes
indicated that most shoes are not made in the USA. I can understand
why some products are not made in the United States but shoes? We have
shut down a lot of our mining industry for things like steel and
copper because of EPA regulations so I can understand why we ship in a
lot of steel. But shoes? Does China have so many cattle that they can
put shoes on the feet of their one billion plus population and have
enough leather left to send millions of shoes to the United States
every year/

Another question about shoes. India has around a billion people also
and I assume a lot of them wear shoes. However isn't it national
policy in India that cows are sacred? Of course leather can be made
out of Pigskin or other skins but aren't those animals sacred also?

Actually No. Pigs are only sacred to those who own them :-) Cows are
sacred only to the Hindu.

But as to numbers shod, I suggest that a substantial percentage of the
population in Asia does not wear shoes. They wear sandals which are
largely, today, made from plastic although in times past everything
from straw to wood was used.