Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default OT White Pages

On Sat, 05 Mar 2011 08:16:39 -0600, Bill Gill
wrote:

On 3/4/2011 7:36 PM, mm wrote:
OT

The phone books have been getting smaller. With the yellow pages, I
figure most places are still in business but they have moved their
advertising elsewhere.

But with the white pages, I'm not so sure. The new book is 1/3
smaller than the book 1 or 2 years ago. If they've just made their
numbers unpublished, I want to keep the book so I will still have
their numbers. But if they've abandoned their wired phones for cell
phones, there is no point to keeping the book.

Why is the White Pages 1/3 shorter than it was? How much is
unpublished and how much is just gone?

Thank you.

You have white pages? Here in Tulsa AT&T dropped the white
pages completely. Now all we have is the colored pages. I
would say yellow pages, but we also have blue pages.

We used to have blue pages, but this year they were grey pages.
Probably because they can be printed with black iink and they don't
have to set up for blue.

Anyway
AT&T says most people are using the internet phone books, so
they aren't printing them any more.

I don't use the phone book much, but if they give me one, I'm going to
keep it.

For a while I thought about keeping old ones to have the numbers of
those who changed to unpublished numbers.

There was one guy, a populoar tv sportscaster, whose name was just 4
names from my girlfriend at the time. When I looked her number up a
few years later, his name was gone (even though he's still on tv
here). If I'd saved the old phone book, I'd still have his number.
But otoh, I have no reason to call him.

Bill