Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Jim is offline

Default Where does China get their leather for shoes?

TwoGuns wrote:

I was at a shoe store recently and a quick check of a few shoe boxes
indicated that most shoes are not made in the USA. I can understand
why some products are not made in the United States but shoes? We have
shut down a lot of our mining industry for things like steel and
copper because of EPA regulations so I can understand why we ship in a
lot of steel. But shoes? Does China have so many cattle that they can
put shoes on the feet of their one billion plus population and have
enough leather left to send millions of shoes to the United States
every year/

Another question about shoes. India has around a billion people also
and I assume a lot of them wear shoes. However isn't it national
policy in India that cows are sacred? Of course leather can be made
out of Pigskin or other skins but aren't those animals sacred also?

During college I worked nights at a local beef packing house. One of
the jobs I did at that PH was spreading beef hides out and throwing
rock salt over them to start curing. That operation only processed
about 300 head a day but that is a helluva lot of shoes. I wonder how
much of our leather goes to China to be turned into shoes and sent
back to the United States. I guess it is cheaper to use expensive fuel
to send raw leather to China and use China's CHEAP LABOR and use some
more EXPENSIVE fuel to ship Chinese shoes back to America.

You might consider that if the US
taxed fuel instead of labor
the equation might change a little

The products you consume might be made