Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
James Waldby[_3_] James Waldby[_3_] is offline

Default $25,990

On 2011-03-04, Tom Gardner w@w wrote:
"Ignoramus20691" ... wrote ...
I am thinking about my rotary table. It is a 12" rotary table with
full 4th axis control (G code, not M code). The only thing that it
lacks is a brake (and it is slow).

[...]
Are you going to be looking for jobs? Let me know when you are ready,
what capabilities you will be marketing and what pricing structure you
want to use. My mill is stuffed for the foreseeable future and I don't
have your capabilities for complex parts.

Not yet, I have not acquired or learned any CAD/CAM software.

I was kind of hoping, one day, to make parts, but have someone else
stand on front of the mill and change tools etc.

I also realize that making a living making stuff is a big challenge. It
is hard to compete against talented and underpaid people like the
Chinese.

I once heard some guy who makes oddball things say "if I see anyone else
make the same thing that I make, I stop making it". This sort of thing
kind of appeals to me. Say, making spare parts for old machines where it
is easy to make them.

Seems likely that Tom probably has designs ready to go, ie,
that he can readily translate to G code. Maybe even has
tooling and fixtures for the jobs.

--
jiw