Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected][_2_] norminn@earthlink.net[_2_] is offline

Default Painting Stucco

On 3/4/2011 3:16 PM, Hank wrote:
I want to paint my house. It is stucco over the block. House is about
10 years old. My questions are these:

What is the best paint to use?

There are some hairline cracks, will the paint be thick enough to fill
them? If not, what do I use. They are about the same thickness as a
thumbnail.

TIA

Hank

Our Florida condo, stucco/concrete block, was painted by a contractor.
The previous paint job was done by unskilled idiot - wasn't pressure
washed, full of mildew that cause the paint to peel. 40 y/o building,
so numerous hairline cracks. After pressure washing, the contractor
used a brushable caulk which, IIRC, was clear or translucent. They did
a perfect job, with no peeling after 9 years. We had previously gotten
a bid for $27K for elastomeric paint, two coats. With only 8 units,
that was pretty high. The contractor we hired, for under $7K, rec.
primer and two coats of paint, but condo board opted for one coat.
Everyone I know of who painted stucco/cb in Florida used semi-gloss
latex/acryllic. Semi so it doesn't hold soil/mildew as readily.