Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Pete C. Pete C. is offline

Default Moving

Jon Elson wrote:

On 03/04/2011 04:45 PM, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Pete C. wrote:
Every single bin I packed for my move was individually numbered and the
contents listed on an inventory document. That inventory document was in
hardcopy in multiple locations as well as in soft copy on my laptop so
it couldn't get lost.

Are you familiar with the term "obsessive compulsive"? Those afflicted
sometimes use the euphemism "organized". G

But, when you REALLY needed to find something, it must have been
satisfying.

Yeah, our move sure was NOT like that! My wife said "Oh, I'm so glad
your friends stopped by and helped pack! It is so organized, now."
I said "Yeah, right, small things in small boxes, big things in big
boxes. But, it is all mixed up, electronics, tools, household stuff.
It will be a HUGE mess sorting it all out at the other end."

It doesn't matter if things are mixed up and thus packed more
efficiently if you have a detailed inventory of what is where. That is
how I did my move, it wasn't a kitchen box, bedroom box, etc., whatever
would fit in the space went in the box and was noted in the inventory.
When unpacking when I needed a particular item I just looked at the
inventory and went to the bin that was listed as holding the item.