Jim Wilson

Default Chessman

Tom Watson wrote...

Pretty much everyone at the Monday Night Chess Club meeting plays with
roll-up boards.

They are so easy to transport. I can't fit a wood board in my chess bag
so it would be another thing to carry to the club or pack on a tournament
trip.

I've heard "theoreticians" say that the non-wood colors (dark green and
ivory in particular) are better for playing, as they contrast the pieces
well, and don't "glare" at you. I sure do appreciate the look of a nice
wood board, though, and enjoy playing on them.

At many of the tournaments I've organized or participated in, we've used
the vinyl boards for most of the hall, and wood boards for the one, three
or five top boards.

For match play, especially at the atmospheric levels of chess, wood
boards are more common.

I've been thinking of sneaking in one of my wood ones in an attempt to
generate some sales.

You might get some. I'm always getting remarks about my set, and have
been asked to make boards on several occasions.

Maybe I can work a deal on the sales so that some of those guys won't
kick my ass so bad - sose I can get my rating up to "breathing".

(watson - who is currently not breathing so well, because our club has
too many Masters.)

Don't they all! Tough being a minnow in a pond of sharks.

(watson - who still likes the King's Pawn opening - it worked for
Bobby ! )

"e4! and crush"

!? I don' reckonize dat one. (G)

Jim