Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

Default Tax (was Ron Hickman dies)

On 04/03/11 10:36, Nightjar "cpb"@ insertmysurnamehere wrote:
On 03/03/2011 14:16, Huge wrote:
On 2011-03-03, wrote:
On 03/03/11 12:36, Huge wrote:
..

Quite likely, but my point was that you need rather more than a million
pounds to live a millionaires lifestyle these days.

These days, you need not a million in assets, not a million net-worth, not
even a million in the bank, but an annual income of a million (at least) to
live a 'millionaire' lifestyle

That was my thinking, also, which probably means you need investments of
around 20 to 30 million on top of the 20 million house ... So, to live a
millionaire's lifestyle, you need about 40 million.

I read a little while ago that the figure is around 20 million. Not sure
you need to spend 20 million on the house unless you really want to live in
London though. Under a couple of million will buy you a 7 bedroom house in
6 acres near Cheltenham or a modernised medieval chateau with 8 bedrooms in
over 40 acres in Lot et Garonne.

'Millionaires lifestyle' implies a certain amount of conspicuous
consumption and a relaxed attitude to it. If you a very modest and not so
young then you can probably retire and live comfortably on a million. But
that is not a 'millionaires lifestyle'. It is also possible to live a
millionaires lifestyle on less than a million: but not for long!

--
djc