Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Townsend Karl Townsend is offline

Default Beginning programming question

Thanks for the tips, Don. FWIW, Fortran is what I learned in college.
Actually, I took a course, but never really learned it, because we had
exactly two computers on campus, both of which were IBM 360s. I think it
was Tuesdays that I had to turn in my punch cards at the computer center.
On Monday, I'd get my output -- which almost always had an error or two.

You could go a month or more getting one program to run right. That meant
four tries. It's a wonder we learned anything then, huh?

--
Ed Huntress

I remember those days. I took it again many years later and was able to use
a compiler that ran on a PC.

I may have been one of the first computer hackers. I noticed a
Doctoral candidate submit a stack of punch cards, two full boxes, to
the computer operator for the IBM 360. I was punching up a large stack
for my GPSS (general purpose simulation system) class. That person
came back in only two hours!

Next day, I struck up a conversation and asked to see her header
cards, I must have something wrong. Anyway, started using those
mysterious codes and getting my runs back in two hours. I aced that
class and was even recognized by the prof. as writing some of the best
code he'd seen.

Karl