Posted to uk.d-i-y
Steve Firth Steve Firth is offline

Default Tax (was Ron Hickman dies)

Huge wrote:
On 2011-03-04, Steve Firth wrote:
Adrian wrote:
Huge gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying:

Under a couple of million will buy you a 7 bedroom house in 6 acres
near Cheltenham or a modernised medieval chateau with 8 bedrooms in
over 40 acres in Lot et Garonne.

Yes, but that means living in France. Why would I want to do that?

Apart from the subtle detail that Cheltenham isn't in France, why
_wouldn't_ you?

France is full of French people (WOCABs). And the language is horrible.

And the bureaucracy is overwhelming. And do they still drink and drive
like they used to in the late 70's? (I've seen colleagues drive away
after having trouble getting the key in the ignition due to inebriation.)
Actually, the general standard of driving terrified me. Drunk or not.

Driving is still a largely macho activity in France. Yes drink driving is
common, especially among truck drivers who sink a bottle of wine with
lunch. In most towns drivers seem to think that Gallic pride would take a
tumble unless the proved themselves superior to any foreigner by getting
ahead of the foreign vehicle - even if it means breaking every traffic rule
in the book. Standards of observation are poor. Tailgating is common.

Not half as bad as Italy though for either bureaucracy or driving.

It's the attitude of many French people that makes the place less pleasant
than the UK or Italy.