Posted to uk.d-i-y
nightjar nightjar is offline

Default Tax (was Ron Hickman dies)

On 04/03/2011 10:41, Huge wrote:
On 2011-03-04, Nightjar"cpb"@"insertmysurnamehere wrote:
On 03/03/2011 14:16, Huge wrote:

That was my thinking, also, which probably means you need investments of
around 20 to 30 million on top of the 20 million house ... So, to live a
millionaire's lifestyle, you need about 40 million.

I read a little while ago that the figure is around 20 million. Not sure
you need to spend 20 million on the house unless you really want to live
in London though.

I would have thought that a decent millionaire's lifestyle requires several
dwellings,

There is a certain attraction to having a house at your destination - no
luggage when you travel and everything as you like it when you arrive.
However, it also means you end up not going anywhere else. On balance I
think I prefer having one house as a base and using hotels when I travel.

at least one of which should be in London.

Despite being born and brought up there, I really would not want to live
in London these days.

Although I suppose
a suite at Claridges would suffice when attending the opera.

There is a Claridges in Verona? :-)

Under a couple of million will buy you a 7 bedroom
house in 6 acres near Cheltenham or a modernised medieval chateau with 8
bedrooms in over 40 acres in Lot et Garonne.

Yes, but that means living in France. Why would I want to do that?

I don't know why you would, but I like the country, if not the food.

Colin Bignell