Posted to uk.d-i-y
tony sayer tony sayer is offline

Default amp new PSU capacitors

In article
egroups.com, Archivist scribeth thus
Quote: Surely in the power supply they cannot make much difference ?
I am sceptical myself.

You're right to be sceptical of all 'golden ear" claims. However if you draw an
"equivalent" circuit of any amplifier, you will see that the power supply shows
as being in series with the load. In other words, the signal return from the
speaker goes through the power supply. This means that you should choose ps
components as carefully as you would for example speaker crossover components or
any other component in the signal path.
Two more points:
1. You don't need expensive caps, nor the exact capacitive value to test your
theory. Hang the cheapest on temporarily.
2. I personally wouldn't spend anything on equipment of that era...

Well you might want to re cap something like a QUAD 303 which is a very
worthwhile project around 30 40 odd quid for a replacement set..

We've got one here for a study setup, mainly plays audio off the PC
soundcard a much better external one that that usually fitted. Still
sounds fine ..

http://www.net-audio.co.uk/quad303caps.html
--
Tony Sayer