Posted to uk.d-i-y
sm_jamieson sm_jamieson is offline

Default amp new PSU capacitors

On Mar 4, 4:37*am, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:
sm_jamieson wrote:
My approx 9 year old AV amp started buzzing / humming sounds like
100Hz, slowly got louder until drowning out the music ! PSU caps I
should think. They are labeled "kenwood for audio".
I've got the bigs caps out, they are 10000uF 80V. Lots around for
about 20quid each, or some ebay ones which I try to avoid if possible.
Does this look OK ?
http://connect-audio.co.uk/proddetai...000U80&cat=219
Does the life seem a bit short (I know this is at the max temp) ?

Also saw this but the lead spacing and layout is wrong:
http://parts.digikey.co.uk/1/1/91787...ect-tha-series...

I did not realise the life was so limited though. I've left the amp on
24 hours a day on standby for years !

Also a couple of smaller 3300uF 50V jobs, I guess for a 5V or similar
supply for the ICs, DSP chips etc.
Probably worth changing those as well.

OR ..
Is this really worth my time and up to 50 quid fixing ???
A new replacement would cost 350 quid but would support blue ray
audio, HDMI etc.

Simon.

Seems overly expensive *for reservoir caps.

Definitely worth fixing tho.

But you shouldn't be paying much more than a fiver..try fleabay.

There are some caps (more expensive) marked "for audio" etc.
Is this just marketing, or is there anything different ?
Surely in the power supply they cannot make much difference ?
I am sceptical myself.
Simon.