Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wild_Bill Wild_Bill is offline

Default LATEST, BEST do-it-yourself dro?

I think that proposed use was discussed here (more than a couple of years
ago, IIRC) but I forget what the reasonable conclusion was.. maybe something
to do with needing a program/driver for the mouse encoder signals although
it may have been before optical mices were so popular.
The common X-Y wheels represent rotary encoders, but there may have been
more involved. Cleanliness of the tracked surface would certainly be one
issue.

SWI make/made rotary encoders (maybe still are TTL) that have a wheel with a
hardened, rough surface for reading movement from a clean, smooth, flat
surface.. the housing mount provides the pressure to prevent the wheel from
slipping.
Some machine users praised them as easier to install, and others curse them
as being problematic/erratic. I have some of the SWI units that I haven't
gotten around to using yet, but plan to eventually.

There are other rotary encoder types that use thin metal bands or wire,
similar to the way a steel tape measure pays out/returns.. the ones I saw
were not very accurate, maybe more suitable to wood cutting, I think.

Another type of linear encoder uses magnetically sensitive components to
read from a odd-patterned strip mounted to a stationary machine surface..
Sony was one, IIRC.

Heidenhain? from Germany used a slightly different system, IIRC.

--
WB

"John" wrote in message

I always wondered if an optical mouse could be used for distance
measurement. I never had the time to see how it would track over longer
distances and repeat.

John