Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default DC permanent magnet motors: brushed vs. brushless

On Thu, 3 Mar 2011 16:50:46 -0800, "Artemus"
wrote:

"Ned Simmons" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 03 Mar 2011 18:55:04 -0500, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

Wild_Bill wrote:
... use a KB or similar
DC controller that will provide excellent speed regulation (won't slow
down with varying loads..

I have a KB controller on a treadmill motor that drives my belt grinder.
I get a lot of slow-down on heavy loads. For real speed regulation,
use tach feedback and a servo amp.

Aren't treadmill motors series wound? If so, I'm not surprised the KB
controller doesn't work very well. Their speed regulation is quite
good with PM and shunt wound motors, as long as the proper HP resistor
is installed.

--
Ned Simmons

All the TM motors I have, and have seen, are the PM type.
Art

I have a beautiful GE series wound motor from a treadmill - along with
the controller for it. It has VERY good speed regulation (It has a
tachometer feedback)