Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default OT Safety Deposit Box (at a bank)

On 3/3/2011 8:26 AM, wrote:
On 3/2/2011 3:21 PM, SteveB wrote:
wrote

One should let their family know of the SDB and what (appropriately)
they
need to know of it's contents. It makes one analize how trustworthy
their
family members are )

One of my wives was a paralegal for a family law lawyer. Very old large
estates in Louisiana. In the five years she worked for him, we got to see
many family scenarios play out. When they say, "It's not about the money,
it's about the principle," it's about the money. Heirs, relatives, family
members, loved ones, friends, all seem to change when enough zeros
come into
play. Fistfights in the waiting room. Scheduling so antagonistic groups
wouldn't show up within 4 hours of each other.

BTW, we were also privy to the longest murder trial in Louisiana history,
which was very interesting.

Steve

I have seen family members raid their parents home before the funerals
to glom onto every little thing they wanted for themselves. I have also
seen my own family be entirely open, selfless and generous in taking
care of our parents' estates. Another person, at his death, had a list
in his wallet of all the financial assistance given to his children
forever....I made a decision that day that if my kids ever needed money,
and I was able and willing to help them, there would be no loans. If I
could afford to lose it, a chance with a loan, I could afford to give it
and there would be no more to the issue to poison our relationship like
"owing" money. If a kid asked for money and I could not or would not
help, there would also be a fair and reasoned discussion...might be the
reason all of my kids can have differences, tension, and then discuss
them and get it settled and still love each other.

I'll second that. I don't have kids, but I do have underemployed
parents happened to be broke. A year after she graduated, she asked
about when I expected her to repay me, and I told her that I hadn't kept
track, but it was now her turn when the next generation hit college age.
That is what money is for, isn't it? Taking care of your own?

--
aem sends...