Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default Can you solder a thrmal fuse in place?

In article ,
"WW" wrote:

"mm" wrote in message
Can you solder a thrmal fuse in place?

Someone gave me a disassembled sandwhich maker (heater). The
plastic/Bakelite? is broken where one of the four screws goes, but can
probably be fixed fine with PC-70.

The thermal fuse is burned out.

I have about 6 new thermal fuses of different sizes.

Can I solder the fuse in or must I crimp it?

In the past I've figured soldering would melt the fuse, but I haven't
had such good luck with crimping, probably because I don't have the
right sleeve or maybe not the right tool. With wire cutters, there's
a tendency to cut right through the whole thing, and with anything
duller, it's hard to squeeze hard enough.

Also, in the past the temp has burned off the melted fuse. What temp
would use for this small device, which I think just warms two slices
of bread. Would the amperage be a clue at all? The melting temp
of bread?

I use needle nose pliers as a heat absorber. Hold the pliers shut with a
rubber band on the handles/'''WW

I've seen several heat sink suggestions, and I'll reiterate that I think
using one is counterproductive. Anything you do to increase the thermal
load on the iron is going to slow down the soldering speed. Hand
soldering works best at 800F, with tip size and technique optimized for
the job at hand to solder as quickly as possible.