Posted to alt.home.repair
JoeSpareBedroom[_3_] JoeSpareBedroom[_3_] is offline

Default OT Safety Deposit Box (at a bank)

"Red Green" wrote in message
"JoeSpareBedroom" wrote in
:

"Colbyt" wrote in message
m...

"Bob R" wrote in message

Does anyone in the group have a safety deposit box at a local bank?
Or had one in the past?

I checked at a local bank here (Upstate N.Y.) if it matters. The one
thing I don't like about it, is you don't get any kind of receipt
for what you put in it. Also, the bank says only the person who has
the box has a key to it. The only way the bank could get into it is
if the rental fee is not kept current.

So, good or bad idea to get one? Any opinions and or comments will
be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Bob

You don't get a receipt because no one but you knows what is in
there. You open it, add or remove stuff in a private cubicle.

They require two keys to open. The bank keeps one and you get 2
copies of the other. The three keys are different. Lose one of yours
and you have to pay a rekey fee. Lose both and it gets quite pricey
as the lock has to be drilled and rekeyed.

Great place to keep small, irreplaceable items, stock certificates or
the like. Keeping cash in one is not legal if I recall correctly.
Old coins or the like is not the cash I mean.

Colbyt

It's also a good place to keep data backup media, if one is smart
enough not to believe the Ultimate Stupid Computer Concept: "I don't
really keep anything important on my computer." That's until the thing
breaks and then it's "OMG all my family photos were on that thing."

IMO a safe deposit box is overkill for this as well as updating is very
inconvenient.

16 or 32gb thumbdrive. Backup (encrypt sensitive stuff). Toss in
glovebox. Update at will. Good enough for me.

Secured online backup probably may best way.

Glovebox: Hot. Cold. Stupid.