Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Other Mike[_3_] The Other Mike[_3_] is offline

Default Trailers etc.

On Thu, 3 Mar 2011 09:12:08 -0800 (PST), George
wrote:

I have been making trailers for myself for years of various sizes and
purposes and I am sure I could do it for reward. I have made from
tiny to quite huge. Has anyone had the experience of what would sell
easily and at a profit?

I was thinking of a simple box trailer with indespension units and
wheels, or, a bigger one with Ford back axel and drum brakes

You can't legally fit brakes on a trailer other than ones specifically
designed for trailer use - that has been the case in the UK for about
20 years or so.

There is nothing to stop you using a back axle with no brakes on a
trailer weighing fully laden no more than 750kg (and assuming the
towing vehicle weighs at least twice that)

Everything changes the back end of next year, so homebuilds (I think
of all weights and sizes but I could be wrong) will need individual
approval by VOSA.