Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Noble[_2_] Bill Noble[_2_] is offline

Default DC permanent magnet motors: brushed vs. brushless

Just curious about treadmill motors.

Most treadmill motors I've seen are brushed.
Is it likely that newer ones are brushless, and if so, are the electronics
that make the motor brushless internal or external to the motor, and how
would I tell? I'd hate to find out a motor is brushless, and that I threw
away the goddamm electronics.....

Couldn't treadmills use AC permenant magnet motors? Aren't they a little
simpler than the DC?

It seems that the older DC treadmill motors, altho rated lower in power than
modern treadmill motors, pack a lot more punch to them. No surprise.

please explain "AC PM MOTOR" - how could this possibly work? There are
polyphase motors that use a PM, but they are usually called "brushless
DC motors" - there is no inherent reason why they could not have a diode
bridge at their input so they could run on AC as well, but that does not
seem to be what you are talking about.

You do understand the basics of how a motor works by magnetic
attraction, right?

--
www.wbnoble.com